I consider coconut oil a be-all end-all product because of its insane amount of versatility. Not only is it good for cooking and baking, but it actually has beauty and skin uses as well. So if you have any coconut oil lying around in your pantry, go grab it and give some of these hacks a try!
1. Makeup remover- Oils are my go-to way of removing makeup, but coconut oil is my favorite because of its great benefits for the skin. It can take off waterproof and long-lasting makeup in a matter of seconds. Your makeup will literally melt away after applying this to the skin. I like to apply it all over my face and then take a makeup wipe and gently wipe away all the makeup. It comes off effortlessly.
2. Skin moisturizer- This can either be for just the face or for the whole body. After washing your face, apply a small amount all over the skin to give it the moisture that it needs. I recommend only using it at night though, as it can be a little too much during the day under makeup. If you want to you it for the body, you can add in essential oils for scent or leave it plain. Just like for the face, apply it all over the skin, making sure to not apply too much.
3. Lip balm- If you always seem to have dry, chapped lips like me, coconut oil can be a lifesaver for reviving your lips with hydration. Just simply apply a tiny amount to your lips throughout the day, or whenever they are feeling dry. To make it more convenient, you can buy a small jar or tube to put some of the oil in so you are then able to keep it with you at all times.
4. Shaving cream- Yes you read that right. Just because it doesn’t lather doesn’t mean it won’t work well. I have pretty sensitive skin and this works like a charm. Just bring it with you into the shower and apply it to the skin before you shave. It causes the razor to glide right over the skin without any drag or pull. AKA no painful razor burn.
5. Exfoliator- I love love love exfoliating my skin and if you do to then this you have to give this a try because it works just as good as my more expensive exfoliators. There are so many ways to use coconut oil to make a body scrub, but I’ll let you in on how I usually do it. Simply take a container and mix equal parts coconut oil to either salt or sugar (I usually make a batch of 1 cup of coconut oil and 1 cup of sugar). If you want, you can mix in essential oils to give the scrub a scent. You can also use this on your lips as a lip scrub and it works great for that as well! This makes my skin so silky smooth and it lasts for a few days before I need to use the scrub again.
6. Hair mask- If your hair is dry and damaged, give this cheap hair mask a shot. All you have to do is coat all of your hair in coconut oil and then either put it in a bun or shower cap so that the oil will stay in place. Leave the mask on for at least 30 minutes to an hour, but feel free to leave it on longer (tip: the longer you leave it on before rinsing, the better results you will get). I know many people who will leave this mask on overnight. When you’re ready to take the mask off, just wash your hair as usual. Since this is an oil based mask, you may have to double shampoo to get rid of any excess oil. This should make your hair soft, shiny, and much more manageable.
7. Frizz fighter- If you want to quickly manage your frizz without having to do a hair mask, take about a dime sized amount (more or less depending on the length and thickness of your hair) and apply it in you hair from midshaft to ends. Its important to not get too much or your hair will be left looking greasy and unwashed. Doing this trick will smooth out any frizz you have going on.
8. Hair detangler- I wouldn’t use this as an everyday hair detangler, but if you have one spot that is giving you trouble or a couple serious knots, give this a try before you go yanking and end up hurting yourself and your hair. Tak a good amount of coconut oil (maybe a nickel or quarter size amount?) and apply it directly to the knot or tangle. Work it into the hair and let it sit for a few minutes, and then try to gently begin detangling. This should loosen up any tangles and help minimize damage to the hair.
9. Homemade toothpaste- If you happen to run out of toothpaste or maybe you just prefer to DIY everything you can, try making this homemade toothpaste using coconut oil. I found a recipe online that said to mix about 1/2 a cup of coconut oil with 2 or 3 tablespoons of baking soda and VOILA, you made toothpaste! This is a very natural and healthy way to cleanse your teeth, not to mention it could save you a little money as well.
10. Mouthwash- Because coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, it is a great way to freshen your breathen and cleanse your mouth. Just gargle as you normally would each day and you’ll be good to go. Less germs, healthier gums, and fresher breath. It’s a win-win!
I hope you guys get some use out of these coconut oil “hacks”! Let me know if you try any of them out and whether or not they worked for you, I’m super curious!